Songwriter Minute 2018
Nashville Comes to St. Louis!
Sponsored by: NSAI St. Louis
What: Larry Beaird's Songwriter Minute Workshop 2018
When: Nov 17, 2018, 1-4:00pm
Where: St. Louis County Library Grand Glaize Branch
1010 Meramec Station Rd. Manchester, MO 63021
Larry Beaird has researched hit songs for many years to see what makes them work. He will be sharing the results of his research with songwriters in order to suggest ways to make their songs more commercial.
In addition to Larry’s recent research, he also uses his experience as a session musician in Nashville. He’s played on thousands of recording sessions for writers and artists. Albums, singles, and videos he’s performed on have sold over 28 million copies - including 2 songs of the year - Three Wooden Crosses by Randy Travis and I’m Movin’ On by Rascal Flatts. For a more detailed look at Larry’s recording experience, click here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/aboutlarrybeaird
Highlights of the workshop include:
- Larry will examine a group of Top 10 Hits and show what makes them work.
- He will also examine up to 15 songs written by writers in attendance (chosen by random drawing from the Early Bird registrants).
- A drawing will be held for a free $625 Premier Demo from Beaird Music Group!
- See 20+ ways to make your songs more like the hits.
1. How hit songs best use verses, choruses and bridges
2. Use of intros, turnarounds, solos, and outros
3. Chords used (and chords NOT used) in the hits
4. Vocal ranges of the artists
5. “Tightening up” songs so that publishers and other listeners will stay interested to the end
6. Number of writers per hit song
7. Time it takes the hits to get to the first chorus
8. Minimum, maximum and average songs lengths
9. Time signatures, grooves, and tempos
10 .The difference between a swing and straight-eight groove
11. Patterns of chords used in the hits
12. Frequency and placement of song titles
13. Topics of the hits
14. Choosing the best chords for particular melodies
15. Sticking with the central idea of the title
16. The importance of repetition
17. The importance of rhyme (and use of “imperfect” rhyme)
18. Title use in several other genres
19. Use of instrumental sections (solos) in current hits
20. How Songs-of-the-Year are different
Larry’s Songwriter Minute videos take a look at some of the topics above. You can see examples of his videos here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/songwriting-tips-videos
The Premier Demo to be given away includes: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Steel. This is a 30 minute tracking spot with the band on a session shared with other writers.
It also includes up to 3 hours of studio time (after tracking with the musicians) for vocals and mixing, 3 free CDs upon request, and an email with full quality WAV file mixes. Vocalist fees, if needed, are not included. Your song can be recorded whether or not you are able to attend the session in person.
Click here to register.
Songs recorded with this package are eligible for Evening With A Publisher.
Early Bird Discount
Reserve your seat before Oct 10th, 2018 and receive a discounted rate AND have a chance to have one of your songs presented in the workshop. (The 15 songs by local writers will be drawn from the list of Early Bird registrants and contacted by Larry .) The drawing will take place the morning of October 11th. The songs to be included in the workshop must be submitted to Larry by October 15th. Please email an MP3 and lyric sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Bird Prices (reserved by Oct 10): NSAI Members $40 ~ Non-members $45
After Oct 10, 2018: NSAI Members $50 ~ Non-members $55
Payment can be made to NSAI member Gary Kochan (via Paypal only - no cash or checks) to: email@example.com. Cash only on the day of the workshop.
Private Mentoring Sessions
Take advantage of a Private One-Hour Mentoring Session with Larry for only $100 and receive a $100 discount off a $625 Premier Demo (offer good for 30 days).
- What is a Private Mentoring Session?
It’s a one-on-one meeting with Larry so that you can receive his special attention to your music.
- What should I bring?
1. Bring 1-4 songs on your phone or laptop - or you can perform your songs live.
2. Bring lyrics.
3. Bring questions and pick Larry’s brain about YOUR music, the music business in general or whatever you’d like to discuss.
- What will I receive?
1. Larry will chart your song and give the chart to you at the end of the session.
2. During the hour, Larry will listen intently and use his experience and research to help advise how to arrange your songs to be more like what’s on the radio.
3. A recording discount of $100 off one Premier Demo from Beaird Music Group, Inc. in Nashville. (Offer good for 30 days from date of workshop))
- Where and when will the mentoring sessions take place?
6pm-10:00 pm on Saturday at a meeting room TBD. To schedule, please call or text Larry at (615) 400-2200.
(Additional time on Sunday may be available if needed)
How do I pay for a mentoring session?
In advance, via Credit Card, or with any major Mobile Payment Platform (Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Zelle).
Call Beaird Music Group Inc. to pay by credit card (615) 279-8030. You can pay via mobile payment using Larry’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.