Songwriter Minute 2018
Nashville Comes to Malibu!
What: Larry Beaird's Songwriter Minute Workshop 2018
When: October 21st, 2018, 1:30-4:30 pm
Where: Malibu Library, 23519 Civic Center Way, Malibu, CA 90265
Cost: Before September 28, 2018: $40 - After September 28, 2018: $50
Registration: Call Aaron Beaird at (615) 279-8030 to register for the workshop.
Hosted by: NSAI Malibu and NSAI Los Angeles
(Don't forget to register for a chance to win a free demo here!)
Larry Beaird has researched hit songs for many years to see what makes them work. He will be sharing the results of his research with songwriters in order to suggest ways to make their songs more commercial.
In addition to Larry’s recent research, he also uses his experience as a session musician in Nashville. He’s played on thousands of recording sessions for writers and artists. Albums, singles, and videos he’s performed on have sold over 28 million copies - including 2 songs of the year - Three Wooden Crosses by Randy Travis and I’m Movin’ On by Rascal Flatts. For a more detailed look at Larry’s recording experience, click here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/aboutlarrybeaird
Highlights of the workshop include:
- Larry will examine a group of Top 10 Hits and show what makes them work.
- He will also examine up to 5 songs written by writers in attendance (chosen by random drawing).
- A drawing will be held for a free $625 Premier Demo from Beaird Music Group!
See 20+ ways to make your songs more like the hits:
1. How hit songs best use verses, choruses and bridges
2. Use of intros, turnarounds, solos, and outros
3. Chords used (and chords NOT used) in the hits
4. Vocal ranges of the artists
5. “Tightening up” songs so that publishers and other listeners will stay interested to the end
6. Number of writers per hit song
7. Time it takes the hits to get to the first chorus
8. Minimum, maximum and average songs lengths
9. Time signatures, grooves, and tempos
10 .The difference between a swing and straight-eight groove
11. Patterns of chords used in the hits
12. Frequency and placement of song titles
13. Topics of the hits
14. Choosing the best chords for particular melodies
15. Sticking with the central idea of the title
16. The importance of repetition
17. The importance of rhyme (and use of “imperfect” rhyme)
18. Title use in several other genres
19. Use of instrumental sections (solos) in current hits
20. How Songs-of-the-Year are different
Larry’s Songwriter Minute videos take a look at some of the topics of the workshop. You can see examples of his videos here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/songwriting-tips-videos
Early Registration Rewards
Reserve your seat by September 28, 2018 and receive a discounted rate AND have a chance to have one of your songs presented IN the workshop.
The 5 local writers' names to have their songs presented will be drawn from the list of Early Registrants. This drawing is scheduled to take place the morning of October 1st.
The songs to be included in the workshop must be submitted to Larry by October 5th. Please email an MP3 and lyric sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Premier Demo to be given away includes: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Steel. This is a 30 minute tracking spot with the band on a session shared with other writers.
It also includes up to 3 hours of studio time (after tracking with the musicians) for vocals and mixing, 3 free CDs upon request, and an email with full quality WAV file mixes. Vocalist fees, if needed, are not included. Your song can be recorded whether or not you are able to attend the session in person.
Register for the demo giveaway here.
The Premier Demo given away will be eligible for Evening With A Publisher.