Songwriter Minute 2018
Nashville Comes to Charlotte!
Sponsored by: NSAI Charlotte
What: Larry Beaird's Songwriter Minute Workshop 2018
When: September 22, 2018, 10 am-1:00 pm
Where: The Well, 220 Main St., Pineville, NC 28135 (704) 889-4325
Larry Beaird has researched hit songs for many years to see what makes them work. He will be sharing the results of his research with songwriters in order to suggest ways to make their songs more commercial.
In addition to Larry’s recent research, he also uses his experience as a session musician in Nashville. He’s played on thousands of recording sessions for writers and artists. Albums, singles, and videos he’s performed on have sold over 28 million copies - including 2 songs of the year - Three Wooden Crosses by Randy Travis and I’m Movin’ On by Rascal Flatts. For a more detailed look at Larry’s recording experience, click here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/aboutlarrybeaird
Highlights of the workshop include:
- Larry will examine a group of Top 10 Hits and show what makes them work.
- He will also examine up to 5 songs written by writers in attendance (chosen by random drawing).
- A drawing will be held for a free $625 Premier Demo from Beaird Music Group!
- See 20+ ways to make your songs more like the hits.
1. How hit songs best use verses, choruses and bridges
2. Use of intros, turnarounds, solos, and outros
3. Chords used (and chords NOT used) in the hits
4. Vocal ranges of the artists
5. “Tightening up” songs so that publishers and other listeners will stay interested to the end
6. Number of writers per hit song
7. Time it takes the hits to get to the first chorus
8. Minimum, maximum and average songs lengths
9. Time signatures, grooves, and tempos
10 .The difference between a swing and straight-eight groove
11. Patterns of chords used in the hits
12. Frequency and placement of song titles
13. Topics of the hits
14. Choosing the best chords for particular melodies
15. Sticking with the central idea of the title
16. The importance of repetition
17. The importance of rhyme (and use of “imperfect” rhyme)
18. Title use in several other genres
19. Use of instrumental sections (solos) in current hits
20. How Songs-of-the-Year are different
Larry’s Songwriter Minute videos take a look at some of the topics above. You can see examples of his videos here: http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/songwriting-tips-videos
The Premier Demo to be given away includes: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Steel. This is a 30 minute tracking spot with the band on a session shared with other writers.
It also includes up to 3 hours of studio time (after tracking with the musicians) for vocals and mixing, 3 free CDs upon request, and an email with full quality WAV file mixes. Vocalist fees, if needed, are not included. Your song can be recorded whether or not you are able to attend the session in person.
Register for the demo giveaway here by September 15, 2018.
The Premier Demo given away will be eligible for Evening With A Publisher.
Early Bird Discount
Reserve your seat before Aug 25, 2018 and receive a discounted rate AND have a chance to have one of your songs presented in the workshop. (The 5 songs by local writers will be drawn from the list of Early Bird registrants.) The drawing will take place the morning of August 27th. The songs to be included in the workshop must be submitted to Larry by August 31. Please email an MP3 and lyric sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Bird Prices (reserved by August 27, 2018): NSAI Members $60 ~ Non-members $65
After August 27: $65
Payment can be made to NSAI Charlotte Chapter.
Usually Larry does some Private Mentoring sessions (one-on-one) after his workshops, but he's changing it up some for Charlotte. He'll be doing "Public Mentoring Sessions" where he will concentrate on a song for one writer while other writers are listening in. These sessions will be 30 minutes per writer and the cost is $40 for the half-hour - paid in advance (see below).
- What should I bring?
1. Bring one song on your phone or laptop - or you can perform it live.
2. Bring lyrics for Larry.
- What will I receive?
1. Larry will chart your song and give the chart to you at the end of the session.
2. During the half-hour, Larry will listen intently and use his experience and research to help advise how to arrange your songs to be more like what’s on the radio.
3. You'll receive a $40 discount off a recording at Beaird Music Group, Inc. (offer good for 30 days)
- Where and when will the mentoring sessions take place?
Starting at 2:30 pm on Saturday at The Well.
How do I pay for a mentoring session?
In advance, via Credit Card, or with any major Mobile Payment Platform (Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Zelle).
Call Beaird Music Group Inc. to pay by credit card (615) 279-8030. You can pay via mobile payment using Larry’s email address: email@example.com.